Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Balsamic Grilled Veggies



I am totally in denial about the end of this summer. Vancouver weather thus far has been absolutely stunning, and I refuse to accept that it will get, as my new grad school friend calls it, fugly. Either way, I am trying to do as much beach time, deck relaxing, and grilling as possible before Vancouver's fall takes over.

I made these veggies for my aunt last night, on her not-so-lovely grill. It was such a mission not to burn everything! There were open flames that were taller than the grates, and at one point I tried to extinguish the flames.. I ended up putting out the entire grill! Tin foil came to my rescue, and I managed to only singe a few of the peppers.

I learned about the joys of balsamic-marinated veggies from some relatives in Toronto- It is definitely a staple recipe in their family, and I have attempted to spread the joys of this flavorful marinade to the west coast! 


  • 1 red pepper, quartered
  • 1 zucchini, sliced diagonally, 1/3" thick
  • 1/2 medium onion, quartered and separated
  • 1 cup mushrooms, halved
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Pepper to taste
  • Any spices you like! (I used herbs de provence- but oregano, basil, or even steak spice would be delish!)

Combine spices, garlic, pepper, oil, and balsamic in a small bowl. Throw the veggies in a ziploc and drizzle the dressing over them. Use more or less dressing depending on the amount of veggies! Let marinade for at least 40 minutes- the more the better! Grill as you desire!

These can be made as a side dish or main- I put them on top of a pesto pasta with some grilled chicken! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment